Remove this ad

hsf

staff sergeant

Lead

Aug 2 11 10:21 PM

Tags : :

Might as well start this again for my own vanity. 

On Tuesday, Shout! Factory released the highly anticipated Volume XXI featuring all five fan favorite episodes featuring Gamera, the flying turtle that's the friend of children everywhere. That is to say, it's a Japanese guy in a rubber turtle suit battling other Japanese guys in rubber suits. I have to wait for mine because I ordered it off of Amazon and the extra wait time for the free shipping, but good things come to those who wait.

It was also recently announced as to which titles will be on Volume XXII...
306- TIME OF THE APES
314- MIGHTY JACK
610- THE VIOLENT YEARS (with short: YOUNG MAN’S FANCY)
702- THE BRUTE MAN (with short: THE CHICKEN OF TOMORROW)
Not sure of the release date, but seeing more Sandy Frank-based content seeing legitimate DVD release is always a good thing.

Hi-keeba!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

hsf

staff sergeant

#2 [url]

Aug 3 11 11:17 PM

The last new episodes were broadcast in 1999. Select episodes are available on Netflix. DVD releases are spaced out several months apart, usually four episodes per release, although Volume XXI is an exception since five Gamera movies were given the MST3K treatment.

Shout! Factory continues the DVD releases after taking over from Rhino several years ago:
http://www.shoutfactory.com/browse/204/mystery_science_theater_3000.aspx

Licensing issues with certain movies prevents numerous episodes from being released on DVD, however. The most notable of which is the original Volume 10 from Rhino, which contained Godzilla Vs. Megalon, which Rhino thought they had the rights to. Toho said they were wrong and all copies were pulled from shelves, resulting in an instant collector's item. It was eventually rereleased with The Giant Gila Monster in it's place and retitled Volume 10.2. Side story, I actually saw the original Volume 10 at Best Buy upon initial release, but I figured I could always buy it later instead. Nowadays, copies on Amazon are at least $150 or so. How was I to know?

The good thing about more episodes coming out on DVD is that I can delete the VHS dubs one by one that I've downloaded over the years. That's a lot of external HD space I'm saving!

[i]When the [b]Giants[/b] come to town, it's Bye Bye Baby...[/i] tvnewscaps.maxforum.org/2012/02/06/robin-meade-video-dump-20/

Quote    Reply   

hsf

staff sergeant

#3 [url]

Dec 9 11 12:12 AM

Got my copy of Volume XXII from Amazon yesterday. Haven't had the free time to check it out yet, but I did already find out the details about Volume XXIII, due out on March 27, 2012.

210 - KING DINOSAUR (Short: X MARKS THE SPOT)
323 - THE CASTLE OF FU-MANCHU
608 - CODE NAME: DIAMOND HEAD (Short: A DAY AT THE FAIR)
611 - LAST OF THE WILD HORSES

The last episode is notable for it's parody in the host segments of Star Trek's "Mirror Mirror" episode where half of the show features an parallel universe Forrester and Frank inside the theater. Also, this volume contains both appearances of Joey the lemur! :P

[i]When the [b]Giants[/b] come to town, it's Bye Bye Baby...[/i] tvnewscaps.maxforum.org/2012/02/06/robin-meade-video-dump-20/

Quote    Reply   

hsf

staff sergeant

#4 [url]

Dec 30 11 12:51 AM

This news is most appropriate in this thread... in a few months, you'll be able to own a copy of Manos: The Hands Of Fate on Blu-Ray.

No, really.

http://www.manosinhd.com/

In a nutshell, a guy bought a bunch of old film reels off of eBay, and one of them just happened to be an original 16mm work print of Manos. Only a few months after his discovery went public, he has amassed sufficient funds to proceed with a restoration and remastering. Some may ask "Why?" Many, many others have said "Why not?"

A more detailed version of the discovery...
http://www.manosinhd.com/why-im-saving-manos-the-hands-of-fate/

Quote    Reply   

hsf

staff sergeant

#5 [url]

Mar 31 12 11:01 PM

Recently got my copy of Volume XXIII in the mail the other day. Haven't had time to fully invest in it yet (stupid work), but you can never lose with Joel/Mike and the gang. Also, the titles for Volume XXIV have been announced...

310 - FUGITIVE ALIEN
318 - STAR FORCE - FUGITIVE ALIEN II
617 - THE SWORD AND THE DRAGON
624 - SAMPSON VS. THE VAMPIRE WOMEN

Forklifts, more Russo-Finnish madness, and TV's Frank's final episode. Looks like a winner. Olé!

Quote    Reply   

hsf

staff sergeant

#6 [url]

Jul 30 12 11:08 PM

As Volume XXIV hits stores today, the setlist for Volume XXV have been released...

110 - ROBOT HOLOCAUST
508 - OPERATION KID BROTHER
(AKA Operation Double 007; changed due to legal reasons)
615 - KITTEN WITH A WHIP
801 - REVENGE OF THE CREATURE

This set has some MSTies all aflutter. For starters, Universal has been reluctant to license their movies for use in MST3K DVD releases, but Shout! Factory has recently been rereleasing old Universal horror films, so some believe this will help SF obtain licensing for other Universal-based episodes (much in the same way SF's release of all the Gamera movies helped in getting all the MST3K Gamera episodes out there). Oh, and not to mention this was the first Sci-Fi Channel episode.

There's also personal history for me with Robot Holocaust, as this was the first episode of MST3K that I ever saw. I was flipping through the channels at some point in 1989 when I landed on (what was then) the Comedy Channel. The episode was a few minutes in (I missed the invention exchange and the movie's opening credits) and there were these silhouettes at the bottom of the screen. There's a shot of a disheveled city and Joel refers to it as "Six Flags over Armageddon"... the first riff I ever saw. The rest is history. And part of me still misses Servo's old voice.

Quote    Reply   

hsf

staff sergeant

#7 [url]

Dec 7 12 11:29 PM

Volume XXV was released this past Tuesday. Looks like they also announce what's on the next volume after each release, so here's what will be on Volume XXVI...

411- THE MAGIC SWORD
516- ALIEN FROM L.A.
620- DANGER! DEATH RAY
803- THE MOLE PEOPLE

Only one Joel episode this time, but it's a Bert I. Gordon fan favorite. I must admit that Shout! Factory has been doing a good job on obtaining rights to movies that many fans would've though would never see a legitimate DVD release.

Quote    Reply   

hsf

staff sergeant

#9 [url]

Apr 3 13 9:00 PM

Volume XXV was released last week, and as usual, Shout! Factory soon announced what will be on the upcoming Volume XXVI...

108 - THE SLIME PEOPLE (Short: Commando Cody Pt. 6)
205 - ROCKET ATTACK USA (Short: The Phantom Creeps Pt. 2)
523 - VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS
804 - THE DEADLY MANTIS

Village Of The Giants has been on my wish list for a while. It's another corny Bert I. Gordon movie featuring Ron(ny) Howard, Beau Bridges and the Beau Brummels (The Beau Bridges Brummels?)

Quote    Reply   

hsf

staff sergeant

#10 [url]

Jun 5 13 11:34 PM

Two small updates... firstly, the above titles should've been labeled as Volume XXVII, and they'll be released on July 23. Secondly... well, it's kind of a spoiler if you haven't seen it, but it's been a few weeks now, but there was a brief mini-MST3K reunion on the fifth episode of the new season of Arrested Development. Joel and Trace (Crow) reprised their roles, although you can just barely hear the riffs below Ron Howard's narration. Since I don't have Netflix, some kind soul has helpfully bootlegged the brief scene...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

HSF 909

master sergeant

#11 [url]

Aug 1 13 10:27 PM

Volume XXVII was released recently, and as usual, Shout! Factory has released info on the upcoming Volume XXVIII...

111- MOON ZERO TWO
422- THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE
(with short: HERE COMES THE CIRCUS)
802- THE LEECH WOMAN
909- GORGO

Plus a bonus disc featuring 512 - MITCHELL and 513 - THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE, the last Joel episode and first Mike episode whose Rhino releases are long out of print. I would assume that they're no-frills presentations being that it appears that they'll both be on one disc, but we'll see.

When the Giants come to town, it's Bye Bye Baby...

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#12 [url]

Nov 26 13 11:55 PM

The 25th Anniversary Edition (unofficially Volume XXVIII) was released yesterday. The set is called that because the show premiered on KTMA TV 23 in Minnesota on November 24, 1998.

And as per Shout! Factory tradition, the contents of the next volume were also revealed...

112- UNTAMED YOUTH
412- HERCULES AND THE CAPTIVE WOMEN
805- THE THING THAT COULDN’T DIE
903- THE PUMAMAN

I had always heard that they were uncertain as to who owned the rights to fan favorite The Pumaman. Either they found the proper ownership or they're throwing it out there and seeing if anybody claims it. Nonetheless, it's another popular pick off the wish list.

There's also some other bits of news to post here... firstly, Joel did an AMA on Reddit yesterday:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1risx8/i_am_joel_hodgson_the_creator_of_mystery_science/

And your annual Thanksgiving tradition is back! Joel is hosting a streaming six episode Turkey Day Marathon! :D
http://www.mst3kturkeyday.com/mst3k/redditama.html
He selected the six episodes himself, but exactly which ones are a secret until Thanksgiving. No word on if it includes any non-DVD episodes. Yes, he should be picking some Mike episodes, too. :P

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#13 [url]

Mar 26 14 9:01 PM

With Volume XXIX being released this week, it naturally means that the episodes for the now upcoming Volume XXX are announced...

113 - THE BLACK SCORPION
519 - OUTLAW (OF GOR)
901 - THE PROJECTED MAN
1010 - IT LIVES BY NIGHT

Season 1 is now the only season to have seen a complete release on DVD (although several of them are on out of print Rhino compilations). Outlaw contains the festive "Tubular Boobular Joy" song. A pair of Sci-Fi era episodes makes it a Mike-centric volume.

What if you prefer watching MST3K the old fashioned way, by over the air television? Good news for you (and if it's in your market), Retro TV has just picked up the show for broadcast starting on July 5th:
http://www.myretrotv.com/2/post/2014/03/-retro-tv-adds-cult-classic-mystery-science-theater-3000.html

Cabot! Cabot? Cabot!

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#14 [url]

Aug 1 14 8:53 PM

A little late on this update, but Volume XXX (the sexiest volume yet!) was released this Tuesday. The titles for XXXI were announced during Comic-Con...

203 - JUNGLE GODDESS with short: THE PHANTOM CREEPS PT 1
510 - THE PAINTED HILLS with short: BODY CARE AND GROOMING
912 - THE SCREAMING SKULL with short: ROBOT RUMPUS
1012 - SQUIRM with short: A CASE OF SPRING FEVER

Lassie! Worms! French fried potatoes!

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#15 [url]

Nov 25 14 10:07 PM

UPDATE SIGN!

Firstly, there will be another turkey day marathon this year! :D
Point your browsers to http://www.mst3kturkeyday.com/ on Thursday to laugh off those calories or to kill some time during the three halftimes that day.

Secondly, Joel did another AMA on Reddit to help promote it...
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2necex/i_am_joel_hodgson_creator_of_mystery_science/

Thirdly, Joel also revealed the titles in Volume XXXII!

401 - SPACE TRAVELERS
502 - HERCULES
520 - RADAR SECRET SERVICE
614 - SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL

Perhaps of note here is the release of the season 4 premiere, which is actually the 1969 film Marooned featuring Gregory Peck and Gene Hackman. The film briefly lapsed into the public domain and was retitled Space Travelers by an independent film distributor. The fact that Shout! Factory was able to actually get the rights to this movie, one which many fans thought would never see a legitimate DVD release, is pretty amazing. Also of note is that this was the only movie given the MST3K treatment that won an Academy Award (1969, Best Visual Effects).

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#16 [url]

Apr 10 15 10:39 PM

Volume XXXII was released a few weeks ago, but the episodes for Volume XXXIII weren't announced until just recently...

307 - DADDY-O with short: ALPHABET ANTICS
313 - EARTH VS. THE SPIDER with short: USING YOUR VOICE
522 - TEEN-AGE CRIME WAVE
815 - AGENT FOR H.A.R.M.

It seems like a number of episodes from Season 3 are held by rights holders with a very tight grip on their properties, and the fact that two of said episodes are making it on to this upcoming set shows some promise for other hard-to-get movies on future volumes. Still, you'd better hold on to those copies of the two Godzilla movies that you *ahem* digitally borrowed from your peers.

And hey, Daddy-O is finally coming out! Hike up your pants for that one!

"Want some?"

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#17 [url]

Jul 30 15 12:41 AM

Volume XXXIII just came out on Tuesday, but I somehow forgot to post what will be on Volume XXXIV, which was actually announced about a while ago at Comic-Con...

317 - VIKING WOMEN VS. THE SEA SERPENT with short: THE HOME ECONOMICS STORY
319 - WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST with short: MR. B. NATURAL
806 - THE UNDEAD
808 - THE SHE CREATURE

All of the episodes come from a licensee that has been difficult to work with and not too willing to license out their properties, which shows what an impressive job that Shout! Factory's legal team has done to clear these movies. While I'd prefer to see The Amazing Colossal Man finally make an official DVD debut before its sequel, I'm certainly not complaining. And hey, it comes with Mr. B. Natural!

"Knew your father, I did!"

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#18 [url]

Nov 11 15 1:44 AM

ICYMI, Joel is bringing back MST3K! :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

After a few years of red tape, Joel now has the rights to the Mystery Science Theater 3000 name and properties, and he is using a Kickstarter campaign in order to help fund new episodes. The more money that is pledged, the larger the number of episodes that will be produced. A $2 million goal has reached nearly half of its goal in one day, which will be a minimum of three episodes. Joel will be behind the camera this time, and there will be a new host, a new mad scientist, and new voices for Crow and Servo. However, the possibility remains that some of the old cast members could also periodically contribute in front of or behind the camera.

Joel provides a few more details in an AMA he did yesterday...

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3sbhp7/iam_joel_hodgson_of_mystery_science_theater_3000/

At this point, it seems like it won't be if it'll get off the ground, but how many new episodes will be made.

Keep circulating the URL.

#BringBackMST3K

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#19 [url]

Nov 21 15 1:33 PM

Kickstarter update, they met their $2 million goal this past Monday! :D
But more money means more episodes. They're currently at $2.4M, and $3.3M means three more episodes. Every additional $1.1M after the initial goal adds an additional three episodes, up to a max total of twelve. It's never too late to keep circulating the URL, which has over two weeks left in its campaign.

Also, this year's Turkey Day Marathon will also be available from the above URL, continuing the new online tradition. Joel will once again select the six episodes, not to be revealed until next Thursday. My guess is that we'll find out more about the new MST3K during his host segments. I'm still trying to get used to Servo's new voice, though.
It was also announced that Jonah Ray, one of the hosts of the Nerdist podcast, will be MST3K's new host. His jumpsuit will be yellow. It's also rumored that Felicia Day will be the new mad scientist, and she will be an offspring of Dr. Forrester (and Pearl's granddaughter). I'm always ambivalent about change, but I'm sure Joel knows what he's doing.

And once again, KEEP CIRCULATING THE URL!

Quote    Reply   

HSF 909

master sergeant

#20 [url]

Dec 14 15 1:27 AM

Last Friday, the Kickstarter ended with $5.7M raised there and another $500K through add-on rewards sold through the show's official site. This means that they'll produce a total of FOURTEEN new episodes in 2016! A late push was no doubt in part due to late announcements of guest writers like Dan Harmon and Dana Gould and possible cameos from the likes of Jack Black, Neil Patrick Harris, Jerry Seinfeld and Mark Hamill. All for what's always basically been a basic cable puppet show. And I marginally funded part of it! :D

Oh, and on the DVD release front, the episodes in Volume XXXV were announced a while ago...
315 - TEENAGE CAVEMAN
405 - BEING FROM ANOTHER PLANET
524 - 12 TO THE MOON
703 - DEATHSTALKER AND THE WARRIORS FROM HELL

It's a great time to be a MSTie!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help